State test results: 85.7 percent of Western High School failed math
The Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers, or PARCC, is administered to third- through eighth-graders in Maryland, testing them in reading and math based on Common Core standards.
According to Western High School math scores, 14.3 percent met expectations and 0 percent exceeded them. Students whose results are in either category are considered ready to move on to the next level and are most prepared for college or work.
The Maryland State Department of Education did not provide exact figures for some groups of Western High School students because those groups included less than 5 percent of students who tested in the school. The analysis includes a range where exact totals can't be calculated.
Another 37.2 percent approached expectations, while 28.7 percent partially met expectations and 19.8 percent did not meet them. Students who scored in these categories are not ready for the next level.
The school's results fell below state averages. In Maryland, 28.1 percent of students met expectations on the math tests and 5.5 percent exceeded them, putting the percentage of students who passed at 33.6 percent. The rest – 66.4 percent – failed, with about 24.4 percent of students approaching expectations, 24 percent partially meeting expectations and 18 percent not meeting them.